Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Baby Trey's Story

Home

Well, it all started Thursday, June 24. I had contractions all day, but they were only 10 mins apart. I had always been told that when they are 5 mins apart, lasting for 1 min long, going for over and hour is when you need to go to the hospital. So I just dealt with it and went about my day. Went to bed, and woke up Friday, June 25 at 2:20 am with contractions. I started timing them and they were 5 mins apart!!! I waited it out for an hour... changing positions- standing, sitting, laying, switching side, walking around- but they didn't stop or slow down, so after an hour I woke Will up. He hung out with me for another hour. When I was still having them, he decided to call the hospital. They said to wait it out as long as we could at home. That I would be more comfortable there and to wait until they got more painful. So we went back to bed around 5 am. When we woke up, I was still having them every 5 mins, but they weren't any more painful or strong than they had been earlier. So, Will left for some meetings and in the mean time, my mom and Alyssa came over. We did some things around the house and around 2 pm the contractions started getting stronger.


Hospital

Will got home and at about 3 pm, we decided that we should just go to the hospital and have it checked out. When we got there, they hooked me up to the machines and sure enough I was having contractions every 3-5 mins apart. However, when she checked to see how dilated I was... surprise, surprise... I was still at a 1!!! So the nurse said that since I was having strong contractions so frequently, that they were going to leave me hooked up to the monitors for the next hour and then they would check me again. She said if I truly was in labor that I should progress to the next centimeter within the hour.... so in an hour she came back to check again, and guess what... STILL at a 1!!! So, they sent us home, and said come back when the contractions are unbearable, to where I couldn't breath through them or if my water broke.


Back Home

Will and I left and went to Panda Express for dinner, then picked up Hot Fudge Sundaes from McDonald's and a Redbox. Will said it would help keep my mind off of things. We got home and I actually fell asleep for about an hour (and little did I know how badly I was going to need that precious sleep) When I woke up I was still having contractions, except with each one my back was KILLING me! We made it through the movie. I changed positions about 500 times and tried everything I had read about to relieve back labor. We decided to go to sleep and see how things went.... except there was no sleeping for me. I ended up sitting in the shower with HOT water just hitting my back. By the time I got out of the shower, Will had fallen asleep. I laid down hoping to fall asleep.... but that didn't happen. Will woke up to me in excruciating pain, trying to change positions to get comfortable. At this point, Will looked at me and said "let's go, we are going to the hospital." I then started crying, and said I didn't want to go... I didn't want to get sent home again. So, instead he called the hospital to see if they had any suggestions to ease the pain. They said that all the things we had done were the things they would have suggested and that maybe my labor had progressed and that we should come in and get checked.


Back to the hospital

So we got in the car, bucket in hand, in case I puked... needless to say, we got there around 12:30 or 1 am Saturday morning. So by this time I had already been having contractions for almost 24 hours... We got in, go to triage, the nurse checks me... and tells me the best news ever "your are at a 3, and you are NOT going home!" Will called our parents and they started heading down. At this point I was ready for the pain to be done and I wanted an epidural- However, because of the intense pain my blood pressure was high, so they said we had to do blood work first. It took about an hour or so before they result came back and they were all good, so they said we could go ahead with the epidural. After about 3 pokes, they got the epidural in, and the edge was taken off the pain. I continued to progress with labor, and the nurse came in and broke my water, this is when things began to go down hill. As soon as she did this, Trey's heart rate dropped. They said that he must have been laying on the cord and pinching it off since there was no water in there to cushion it anymore. They tried moving me from side to side, but that didn't work, so they put internal monitors on his head and began something called irrigation. This is where they put fluid back into me to surround and cousin the cord. This helped, but with each contraction his heart rate would drop, but then go back up. Then all of the sudden around 6 am, the were 2 other nurses rushing into the room and all up in my business, trying to move and turn Trey (he was posterior-sunny side up- which is why I was having such baby back labor), but he was stuck and they couldn't get him to move. The next thing I knew was my nurse was rushing back into the room, handing Will scrubs, and said "put these on, the doctor is on her way to cut!" CUT? WHAT? Then they came over and said I would be having a C-section. They said that the last 2 contractions I had, Trey's heart rate dropped down to 70... not good. They said the cord was probably around his neck and that every time I had a contraction it was trying to push him down the birth canal and that then the cord was choking him. I was scared and just wanted him OUT as soon as possible- so a C-Section it would be. Will was really good and very supportive. He went and changed and walked next to me as they pushed me back to the OR. The doctor (who was not my doctor or the other doctor who is in his office who I thought would be delivering me if my doctor was gone) got there, they had me prepped, cut, and at 6:51 am the baby was out. It all happened so fast. It was such a relief to hear him cry. Tears started streaming down my face. I didn't even care that I was sitting there cut in half, as long as my baby was safe and sound. They had to cut the cord, just to get him out of me. The cord was in deed around his neck and was wrapped all around his body as well and was also lodged in me between my ribs and pelvis!!! The next thing I knew, Will was walking out with Trey and I was still strapped down being sewn back up- tears still streaming down my face while I was thinking of my baby!


Probably the longest 24 hours of my life- then the next ones went by so fast. We would just sit and stare at our beautiful boy, hold and cuddle and kiss him, and also had to share him a little with our family and friends that came to visit.



Would I do it again... ABSOLUTELY! I love my boy and am enjoying every moment I have with him!!!

Sorry for the long boring post... mostly just wrote so I could document for myself! :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how I missed this post!! I loved hearing every detail! Those are the scariest/most magical/most amazing moments and few days ever! I can't wait to meet Trey!

    p.s.. Panda Express was a brave choice for dinner! .. that would not have sat well with me! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read birth stories... thank you for sharing that. My baby's heart rate was dropping with each contraction too, and that's why they cut me open too. His cord was around his neck, but it wasn't anything like what yours sounded like. I'm so glad to hear that he's healthy and that you're loving having him home. Remember to take lots of pictures because they really do grow fast. So many changes in such a short time. Don't worry about blogging, as long as you document somewhere the important things! Welcome to Motherhood!

    ReplyDelete